Memorial for Catherine Lique

Memorial for Catherine Lique, 2009 12″ x 12″ x 2″ Plexiglass, LEDs, electronics, audio recording This interactive installation appears as a mirror to the viewer. When they step on the pressure sensor, a microcontroller triggers LED lights to backlight the lightbox, revealing the image of Catherine Lique, a sex worker who was killed in 2003. The accompanying audio piece, a first person narrative, tells the story of the life and death of Ms. Lique. The audio, also triggered by the sensor, is programmed to play through Processing. The narrative was... Read The Rest →

ICM and PComp Final Project in Progress

Memorial for Catherine This piece is in progress. It is an interactive installation which will also have an audio recording (narrative) triggered by the same sensor that triggers the lights. The first person narrative will reveal the life and death of Catherine, a sex worker murdered in 2003. This series will be an ongoing memorial for sex workers who have been victims of violence. The first draft will be completed on December 17th, 2009 to coincide with the International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers. Share → Tweet

Final Project Progress

I have made some progress on my final project. I was able to get three feet of LEDs (300 LEDs per 5 meter, if I understand correctly.) They are pretty bright white, stark even. I will be able to make a cut at any two inch point and rewire and solder to power and ground. The LED strips were pretty expensive at almost $20/foot. I purchased three feet.

PComp and ICM Final Project Idea

I am interested in combining my new found knowledge base in computational media (Processing) and physical computing (Arduino) to create an interactive art installation for December 17th, The International Day To End Violence Against Sex Workers. My initial plan has been to gather the stories and photographs (high res) of the murder victims of Gary Ridgway (aka the Green River Killer). I am also interested collecting images and stories of other sex worker victims of violent crime for this project. I am also looking for footage from December 17th events,... Read The Rest →

Serial Duplex using an Arduino

In this lab assignment, I used two sensors (photo resistor and potentiometer) and one switch (button) to control a “ball” in Processing. I had difficulty getting it to work at first, but Jason helped me re-map each sensor. The photo resistor was only going up to about 16 so we mapped it 0-16. The potentiometer went up to 1023 so I re-mapped it to 0-1023. The result was interesting as you can see in the video while I interact with the different sensors. The potentiometer controlled the “Y” access (up... Read The Rest →

Stupid Pet Trick: LED Pasties

I decided to work on LED pasties for my Stupid Pet Trick. Thinking I could complete them in time for a performance, I figure it would be killing two birds with one stone. However, I got a bit ahead of myself. While the basic construction came together nicely, I didn’t have a chance to configure a 9v battery to replace the D/C adapter. Additionally, their is the problem is mounting the sensor, breadboard, and arduino on the body. Behold, my stupid petrick trick: LED Pasties. As a user approaches the... Read The Rest →

PComp Week 3 Electronics Lab

In this week’s lab, I was very confused. Luckily, Kody and I worked together on the floor with the multimeter and setting up circuits and so forth. Tragically, I also struggled with the Xacti cam. It was a rough week for me. You can watch all the awkwardness below and read our assignment here. Share → Tweet

Fantasy Device

Assignment Fantasy Device. Think of a fantasy device you’ve always wanted. Doesn’t have to be physically possible, but it has to have a physical interface. Design what the physical interface was. Document your design on your blog, and bring it in for the class. Your mock-up doesn’t have to work, and it can be made out of any materials you’re comfortable with. Make this a quick sketch, just enough so that your classmates have a sense of what they would do to use your device. The Antiquidator is a device... Read The Rest →

PComp Week 2 Lab

In Week 2 of Physical Computing, I learned how to use a potentiometer! Assignment: In this lab, you’ll learn how to connect a variable resistor to a microcontroller and read it as an analog input. You’ll be able to read changing conditions from the physical world and convert them to changing variables in a program. Work: Share → Tweet

« Older Entries